As BIKE is an International Training Network project for the training of T-shaped Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) , who will learn to develop and apply next generation of bimetallic catalysts for blue and green hydrogen production, training itself is the load-bearing column of the whole project.
As a matter of fact BIKE aims at cross-sector training of 14 ESRs through individual projects in the context of a unique network where private (industry) and public (academia and research centers) institutions are strongly interconnected and jointly co-operate to get the expected results.
All ESRs will work and will be trained in leading research laboratories (vertical research and training), with secondments in additional laboratories and groups, exposing them to multidisciplinary environments and to cross-sector setting (horizontal training).
At the end of the project, the 14 T-shaped ESRs will have a comprehensive and application-oriented knowledge of the next generation of bimetallic catalysts and of the blue and green hydrogen value chains, with a mind-set for innovation, technology transfer, transferable skills, and entrepreneurship.
Training is organized in Local or Network-wide Activities.
Local Training Activities
- Main training
- ESRs are daily in contact with direct supervisors to discuss the project activities and results
- Achievements and challenges are shared in monthly group meetings with the other members of their working groups
- ESRs will discuss the progress with the external co-supervisors every two weeks
- ESR will also discuss and report the individual projects aspects and results in BIKE global yearly meetings
- Participation in scientific conferences
- PhD courses. ESRs will be enrolled in PhD courses, either at their host beneficiary or at identified universities
Network-Wide Trainings Activities
Network-wide trainings will be carried out through research secondments and identified training events, dedicated to specific topics.
- Research secondments are organized to maximize synergies among the different consortium members and enable ESRs to benefit of a multidisciplinary approach in their individual projects.
Site visits and research internships are planned in all the research projects. The secondments aim to expose ESRs exposure to cross-sectors aspects in order to gain insights and knowledge from both academic and industrial perspectives and maximise their project and program outputs
- Training events
- Seven workshops (WS) will be organized at different locations. In these workshops the ESRs will attend seminars and meet internationally recognized experts in scientific areas linked to the network objectives. The topics identified for the workshops aim at covering the state-of-the-art of different aspects of the BIKE program
- Nine visits at industrial sites or research centres will be performed to facilitate the ESRs direct contact with top levels scientific laboratories and manufacturing sites
- Three global Courses on Transferable Skills (CTS) will be associated to the scientific and on-going soft skills trainings. The courses will deal with topics that considered as an essential addition and prerequisite for the progress of the individual training projects and will create the basis for a successful scientific career perspective
- Project management and intellectual properties
- European Projects writing and Applications
- Business Planning, Entrepreneurship, start-up a business
Main Training Events
WS 1: Second International Training School on NanoAlloys
Visit 1 at ICCOM-CNR research center
CTS1: European Projects writing and Applications
WS 2: Preparation and characterization of catalysts for hydrogen production
Visit 2 at the BAS research centre
CTS2: Project management and intellectual properties.
WS 3: Catalyst manufacturing
Visit 3 at JM research centre.
WS 4: Catalyst characterization and operando spectroscopy
Visit 4 at synchrotron radiation facility
WS 5: Theoretical Approaches to NanoAlloy Catalysis
Visit 5 at the DTU research centre
WS 6: Catalysis and design of advanced reactors
Visit 6 at the UPC research centre
WS 7 Catalysts for electrolysers
Visit 7 at the ICB-CSIC research centre
CTS3: Business Planning, Entrepreneurship, start-up a business.
Visit 8 at the ISTM-CNR research centre, SmartMatLab and ISTEM facilities
TRAINING EVENT 1 WP 1 - VISIT 1
Second International School on NanoAlloys (ISNA-2)
Dates: 20 – 25 January 2020
TRAINING EVENT 1 CTS 1
EUROPEAN PROJECT WRITING AND APPLICATIONS
27 January 2020
TRAINING EVENT 2
Due to the movement restrictions imposed by COVID-19 the Training Event 2, formerly foreseen on 23-26 June 2020 in Sofia (BG), has been splitted into two Events to be held as Remote Training sessions:
Project Management and Intellectual Properties
Preparation and Characterization of Catalysts for Hydrogen Production
TRAINING EVENT 3
Due to the movement restrictions imposed by COVID-19 the Training Event 3, originally foreseen on September 2020 in Reading (UK), has been splitted into two Events:
ANS 1, first Annual Network Symposium
8-9 September 2020
WS 3, WORKSHOP 3
Catalyst Manufacturing Technology
The WS will be organized by BIKE Partner Johnson Matthey into various online sessions and lessons taking place
from September to December 2020.
External attendance is welcome